RE: The continuous crippling of Fedora LiveCDs by removing usefull stuff for no apparent reason

-----Original Message-----
From: fcassia@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 11:53:09 -0500
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: The continuous crippling of Fedora LiveCDs by removing usefull stuff for no apparent reason

Once upon a time, I believe it was Fedora 17 or Fedora 19, I was a happy camper.

That was because OpenJDK 7 was included in the LiveCD image.

Suddenly (I don't remember which release, but you can check the mailing list archives for my rant on the matter) OpenJDK binaries were removed from the live CD so I could no longer "java -jar JavaImageEditor.jar" nor could I use JNLP to launch desktop Java apps.

I came to the list at the time to rant, and if I remember correctly the answer was that OpenJDK was removed from the LiveCD due to space constraints, and that it was a real challenge to keep everything to still fit into a CD image.

- George Orwell
***** Snip removed/edited ******

A bigger Specialized spin called Scientific has OpenJDK :)
Since nowadays we still need a DVD since nothing fits on a CD anymore :(

https://labs.fedoraproject.org/en/scientific/

It should contain JAVA as it is listed here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Scientific_Packages_List

For an emergency situation, ie, hardrive failure, *not being able to use your own computer*, one has to have a tool as Fernando recommends where one can run java stuff from a livecd/dvd/usb and luckily it is available as a Scientific Spin where we can use tex/latex, gnuplot and other goodies as well :)  and without needing to installing it.

Best Regards,

Antonio A. Olivares