Re: Disabling CPU throttling on fedora22

On 12/03/2015 12:26 PM, Alex wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:54 PM, Kevin Cummings
<cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/27/15 15:05, Alex wrote:
Hi,
I have a fedora22 SuperMicro system operating as a mail server that
has no need to have the CPU throttled. I'm having trouble figuring out
how to disable the throttling. There also doesn't appear to be any
recent threads discussing this previously.

It appears some are running at full speed while others are not:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep Hz
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
cpu MHz         : 1875.187
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
cpu MHz         : 2188.687
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
cpu MHz         : 2399.906
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
cpu MHz         : 1475.812
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
cpu MHz         : 2075.437
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
cpu MHz         : 2340.750
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
cpu MHz         : 1262.062
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz
cpu MHz         : 2111.812

My understanding of CPU throttling allows the CPUs to run at full speed
when they are busy, and to be throttled back when they are idle.

Are you sure that each CPU was engaged in doing work when you queried
their speeds?

It is designed to allow laptops to idle (and not generate as much heat)
when they don't have to.  It is *not* a permanent throttling back of the
CPUs denying you possible better computing speeds.  Instead it is
designed to have the CPUs (cores) generate less heat when they are not busy.

I have a CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor installed in a panel on my
laptop, and I can watch the CPU speeds change (increase and decrease)
with the workloads as processes come and go.

Thanks for the info. In the past, the system wasn't responsive enough
to adjust the CPU as load increased. It seems with recent processors,
the technology is a lot more sophisticated and no longer really
possible to control its speed.

It's possible. One way is to write a shell script as I did:

# cat /etc/rc.d/init.d/maxcpuspeed
#!/bin/bash
for TGT in `ls /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor`; do
    echo "performance" >$TGT
done

Try running it first and see if it does what you want. If so, then make
the system run the script at boot time:

	# systemctl enable maxcpuspeed.service

Sorta clunky, but it should work. I'm not sure which service forces
"powersave" in there, but disable it if you find it. It may be a
default in the kernel. Not sure. For servers, I use the above script.
For desktop use, I leave it alone.