Re: history undo weirdness

Tim:
>> Makes a nonsense of having any downgrade/undo options then...

Michael Schwendt:
> True. A lot of trial-in-error in there. Especially multi-level undo.
> Even undoing the last transaction may result in problems, because almost
> no package downgrade has been tested (since package updates are supposed to
> go forward-forward-forward, and package scriptlets may even migrate some
> things from old to new, but not revert that during a downgrade).

That was one problem that Google Chrome was going to have, if I could
have rolled it back.  There were warnings that profiles would change in
a non-compatible way.

There were a few bookmarks that I wanted to retrieve, at the very least,
now I've got to do it the hard way.  What's probably going to more
difficult is that I wanted to look through the history to find something
I'd looked at a few days ago, that I couldn't remember any other way.

>> I was struck by this with a recent update to google-chrome, it will not
>> run on my computer any more.  It would of been handy to simply roll back
>> to the prior version, and wait for the next update, and see if that was
>> any better.  Can't do it...  Grr.

> There used to be a Yum plugin to create a local repo for the downloaded
> packages. One can simulate it a bit based on keepcache=1 and copying the
> package cache contents to a local repo that would not be touched by the
> infamour "dnf/yum clean all".

I used to do that (keep the cache) years ago, but it did turn out to be
an annoying disk space waster that needed manual management.  I gave up
several releases back, as Fedora rarely ever gave me update breakage.
Of course, my recent problem is external.  Google isn't going to give a
damn that Chrome has stopped working on an old version of Fedora, nor
probably if it doesn't work on any version of Fedora (as witness, you
have several Chrome releases with SELinux screwups, where the proposed
solution was to relax restrictions rather than stop doing something that
ought to be restricted).  But software that Fedora people have put in
the Fedora repos is probably going to get attention, if it breaks.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.