Re: ssh connections now freezing, if left idle for a few minutes

On 20Oct2015 18:20, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 09:02:30 +1100
Cameron Simpson wrote:
  ServerAliveInterval   17

I tried all that stuff for the ssh connection I run
from my system at work, through the firewall, and
to my system at home, but still never got it to
stay up all the time.

It is entirely possible that some stateful router in between simply gets bored with your connection. At least with ServerAliveInterval (and the corresponding server side ClientAliveInterval) your ssh connections will notice and quit, allowing prompt restart rather than hanging.

I now have cron jobs that check ssh-keyscan
every 5 minutes or so in both directions and
a loop that re-initializes the connection from
scratch if it ever fails to do the keyscans
successfully. So far it has been pretty
reliable - I think doing the keyscans helps
keep the connections up.

Is your connection essentially for purposes of port forwards? If so, I do that too. I have a script called "svcd" which runs a command forever, restarting it if it quits. For example:

 svcd ssh -F ~/.ssh/config-pf remote-host-pf

That takes care of the automatic restarts for me; I kick it off at restart and forget it. No funny cron jobs to fondle via ssh-keyscan etc. Just restart if the ssh dies.

In fact svcd has a host of control features, such as controls governing when the service command should run. For example, the svcd controlling my port forward sshes is told that my laptop needs a default route (so that it won't pointlessly attempt a restart if my laptop is offline) etc.

If you care, svcd is here:

 https://bitbucket.org/cameron_simpson/css/src/tip/bin/svcd

The wrapper I use to dispatch port forward sshes is here:

 https://bitbucket.org/cameron_simpson/css/src/tip/bin/portfwd

So at startup, once my ssh keys are loaded, I dispatch:

 portfwd BLAH &

in a tmux session to run the portforwards in group "BLAH" (work related, home related etc). Portfwd sets svcd's "-t testcmd" to watch the default route and other conditions.

It may seem like a lot of work, but my setup is robust and easy to manage now.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>

A friend of mine in a compiler writing class produced a compiler with one error message "you lied to me when you told me this was a program".
- Pete Fenelon <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>