Re: OT problem -

On 10/13/15 03:46, Tim wrote:
Any idea what it is or what I should do about it if it matters would
>be of interest ...
If it's one that can be turned on by the keyboard, either by pressing a
special button, or just hitting any keys, the main board has to power
the keyboard for that function to work.  If that's not how it's turned
on, you could look for BIOS options (or motherboard jumpers), to not
power (some of) the USB devices when the computer is off (typically,
known as "stand-by power").

There are often various "wakeup" options in a BIOS.  You'd have to look
carefully and distinguish between wake-up from already asleep options
(un-hibernate), and things it monitors to stay awake and not going into
standby mode (if you have a sleep if inactive setting).

These days, "go to sleep when idle" should really be handled by the OS,
not the BIOS, as the BIOS only has crude monitoring options.  Years ago,
I helped someone who's computer would inexplicably shutdown from time to
time.  It's BIOS was set to go to sleep when idle, but it was only
monitoring the keyboard.  If the owner was mousing about, or watching a
video, the BIOS was unaware that the computer was in-use, and would shut
it down.  You could extend the monitoring, to notice if the hard drive
was active, and other things, to prevent it nodding off.  But it was
easier to disable the sleep when idle functions in the BIOS, altogether.
.

None of the above seems applicable to my situation. The computer in question was purchased used several years ago, a Dell Optiplex 755. Some Googling shows that I am not alone, it has apparently been a common problem ...

In addition to the usual CMOS/Bios there is another called MEBX. The setup for that is displayed when CTRL-P is pressed at turn-on. It wants a password, the default is admin, however this one has been changed. It looks like the password can be reset by manipulating jumpers or pulling the battery. Once that is done a new password can be set and the MEBX stuff turned of via it's configuration routine.

As it is now I can see the MEBX menu screen but it wont accept the default password.

So now I must decide if I want to bother with it, I keep thinking, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but there's the challenge to try ...

*Bob*

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD