Re: efibootmgr help

On 08/29/2015 02:11 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> > when I installed ubuntu after that, ubuntu became the default, and grub
>> > had 3 entries for fedora, plus windows 10, plus ubuntu.
> The central problem is that the distros are on a continuum among
> ambivalence, incompetence, and malicious when it comes to multiboot
> cooperation. And GRUB upstream has done a lot of Rube Goldberg
> innovation to try to solve this problem but then ultimately it all
> breaks.
>
> For multiboot, GRUB has failed the distros, the distros have failed
> GRUB by effectively forking it, and each other. And even though
> proposals have been made to fix this problem, the bottom line is, the
> distros could not possibly care less than they do now, or it'd get
> fixed.
I did notice a difference between the grub process in ubuntu & fedora..
in ubuntu I remember getting a " booting in insecure mode" message
BEFORE the grub menu came up. With fedora grub, that message
disappeared. other differences might be so obvious..

>> > when I rebooted into fedora, and installed the latest kernel, THEN I had
>> > issues with grub, because I didn't know how to update the grub that was
>> > installed, and I didn't know how to update the fedora grub & have the
>> > system use that to boot from.
> You'd have to provide detailed information about machine state at each
> step of the way in order for an autopsy to be possible, and know what
> the cause of the problem was. All i can say is, you shouldn't have to
> update the Fedora grub.cfg manually, this is done fairly reliably by
> grubby. But only the Fedora grub.cfg is so modified. The Ubuntu
> grub.cfg which also contains Fedora boot entries, does not. And
> conversely when you update Ubuntu kernels, only its grub.cfg is
> updated, not Fedora's.\
that was my initial problem. my last OS install was ubuntu, which took
over the grub process. THEN I installed a new fedora kernel, and I
started the thread trying to get the new fedora kernel into the grub
menu.. but first I had to either redo the ubuntu grub.cfg OR change grub
to the fedora grub config.. After a few messages I got the efibootmgr -o
to change the booting sequence to fedora default, that only took 2
days.. then trying to figure out the how & why of all this
EFI/ubuntu/fedora/grub.cfg nonsense...

>> > every time you boot into a specific distro, update the system, and
>> > install a new kernel, well, then grub needs to be updated. MY problem
>> > is, I want to keep ubuntu updated, but I always want fedora grub to be
>> > the default.. I don't think they thought about all these situations when
>> > they created grub...
> Or did but didn't think it would be like running over the user's foot
> with a backhoe.
that about covers it:)

> If you weren't confused, I'd have been surprised.
thanks, in the beginning I thought I was sane, but this process is
destroying my sanity slowly but surely..

>> > I thought I had my partitions written down, so I would know what I had
>> > where... but this /boot/efi and /EFI/fedora & /EFI/ubuntu has totally
>> > screwed my mind up.
>> > I am running fedora, but I mounted my ubuntu partition to look at the
>> > EFI/ubuntu folder but.... it wasn't there.
> It won't be, the Ubuntu /boot/efi/EFI directory is on sda1, so is
> Windows. The Fedora one is on sda8. This can be consolidated, but it's
> really the least of your problems, even if it reduces the confusion
> that ensues from having two EFI system partitions.

I'm going to have to go back & look... (booted in fedora currently)
gparted shows /dev/sda1 as EFI system partition fat32 500Mb not mounted
/dev/sda8 EFI system partition mounted as /boot/efi 95Mb
/ = /dev/sda10
/home=/dev/sdb6

ubuntu / = /dev/sdb8

--