Re: strange behavior of external esatausb ports on a Dell laptop

On 08/26/15 16:59, jd1008 wrote:
> On 08/26/2015 12:08 PM, g wrote:
>>

>> On 08/26/15 11:17, jd1008 wrote:
>>> On 08/25/2015 10:36 PM, g wrote:
<<<<>>>>

>> ok, lets look at this another way...
>>
>> you say you are on ac, so that _might_ eliminate battery's voltage dropping,
>> unless wall wart is failing, or failure in voltage regulatory circuits.
>>
>> ac input from wart is rectified in laptop and then feed to the various
>> regulator circuits. it is possible that there may be a vlsi chip that
>> does all the voltage regulating by feeding control voltages to output
>> power transistors. voltage regulation can be done in many ways and only
>> the oem knows for sure, unless supplied in specs or schematic.
>>
>> does laptop have indicator light to show battery/charge state, ac power
>> state?
>
> Power supply's ac-dc circuitry is external. It feeds DC to the laptop.

.
ok. ac/dc, does not matter. it is still good to know that wart is not
dropping voltage.

tho you should notice wart drop

.
> No. It stays 100%.

.
ok. that tends to indicate problem in voltage regulator circuit.

<<>>

>> because you have failure on one side and not other, tends to indicate that
>> each side is on a separate regulator circuit. left side regulator could be
>> heating up and failing.
>
> That is a possibility, because the heat exhaust vent is next to the left
> site ports.

.
fan blowing heat from cpu would not tend to be a problem. monitor exhaust
temp from start up to when usb ports drop power.

>> which brings to mind, is this same laptop you inherited that had over heated
>> and you replace cpu, then found it to be gpu?
>
> Nop. That laptop is fubar. it has the same behavior as before, even less
> than one minute after powering on and booting.

.
it was probably due for the big gold recovery in the sky when i over heated.

<<>>

> Well, I do not know. If it has internal regulators, they must be
> receiving DC and regulating the DC voltage, due to the fact that the
> AC->DC adapter is external to laptop.

.
it has them. wart supply has to be drop for the various ic's in system.
which are discrete transistors, various ic's, like ssi, msi and lsi, cpu,
gpu, ram, rom, usb.

plus, the screen could have several voltages for it. a lot of laptops feed
screen with 1 voltage and in the screen housing are regulators and hv
inverters.

being you gained experiance of opening up laptops, you might consider
doing so with this unit and check temps of the chips. mainly the usb
and the regulators. again, it could be regulator for left side usb and
could be cured with fresh heat compound.

--
peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.