Re: is there an explanation of the various fedora DL URLs and what they correspond to?

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 04:43:31 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   once again regarding docker (but really a more general query), i'm
> trying to clarify the various sources of fedora packages WRT which
> release/update/testing/rawhide version they correspond to.
>
>   for example, i'm assuming that the following URL is the absolutely
> top level of all possible packages for fedora in all its
> current incarnations:
>
>  http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/
>
> is that a fair statement? so i just want to clarify the subdirectories
> there. first, i'm assuming that:
>
>  http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/
>
> represents the contents as they were distributed at the time of
> official release, yes?
>
>   next, i'm guessing that "updates/":
>
>  http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/

Right. all correct.

> represents only *normal* package updates for each official release, so
> that ".../updates/22/" are package updates for f22, etc. i also see
> ".../updates/23"; i assume those would be updates for the current f23
> release and test candidates, is that right?

Actually if you look closely, you will see that the updates/23 repos
are all valid, but empty. They will not have any packages in them until
right before Fedora 23 is released, at which time they will get the '0
day' updates and then more updates as they are released.

>   then there's the "updates/testing" stuff for each release:
>
>  http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/
>
> representing additional available packages if i choose to enable the
> "updates-testing" repo.
>
>   and, finally, there's rawhide:
>
>  http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/
>
> if i want to live dangerously.

Yep.
(Although rawhide isn't really that dangerous)

>   the reason i'm asking this is that i'm trying to collect a list of
> docker-related fedora packages with a brief explanation of what
> they're for, and i ran into the following quirk(?).
>
>   currently on my "updates-testing"-updated f22 system, i have an
> installed package named "docker-selinux". but when i went digging
> through the fedora package db looking for docker-related stuff:
>
>  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/*docker*/
>
> that package is not listed there anywhere. it appears in rawhide, and
> in f23 updates-testing, so why is there no mention of it in the
> package db?

Because the packages app (which was written a number of years ago) has
issues from time to time where it gets stuck. ;(

It's slated to get a pretty big overhall and set of bugfixes in the
next few months, but until then it can be out of date at times. ;(

kevin