Re: Thunderbird mail directories -

On 08/22/15 10:08, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I've created a new gmail account with a name more like my usual Wildblue
> address and removed the old gmail address I had been testing with.
>
> Now Thunderbird shows the new account, under which I have added some
> sub-directories and another ghost account "gmail." Under that is a
> sub-d9rectory "All Mail" which seems to be getting all the gmail. I'm
> not sure where that came from, I did not do anything I'm aware of to
> create it so I can only conclude it is a Mozilla Thunderbird imap feature.

.
i have not had such happen when i used imap, but i know of others who
had similar problems. i do not recall what causes problem, tho i will
presume it is from you creating folders and imap making them on your
system. nft, but i do believe you would not have problem if you use
pop3.

> I think I would prefer an account heading "bobgoodwin31@xxxxxxxxx" with
> my usual sub-directories under it. I suppose I might be able to create
> sub-directories under "All Mail" instead.

. if you want such a folder as an account, you have to specify such when
you create account.

> Does anyone understand what is happening here? I am looking for
> suggestions as to how to proceed with my configuration, I don't like
> change, prefer everything to stay the same as much as possible ...

.
because you are pulling from gmail account, i would suggest that you do
_no_ filtering on gmail.com and do not try to create any gmail site
structure in thunderbird.

tho you may not wish to, i would suggest that for your gmail account,
you create filters to move incoming gmail to folders that you create
under "Local Folders". creating any folders and subfolders in gmail
account folder has potential to cause problems.

in fact, i suggest that you make all 'filtered to' folders under
Local Folders. makes things easier if you drop an account for another
account and pull same email sources in second account.

any folder structuring that you do under "Local Folders" will not be
seen by any pop3 or imap folders in gmail account folder or any other
account folder, except for what you redirect with filers.

also, to ensure you do not create an potential problems, do not store
emails in "top" folders. ie, create a "top" folder for branching and
classing, then create folders below it to hold emails of various
sub-classing.

another point on causing problems, do not have thunderbird run any
automatic compacting of folders or deleting of Trash while thunderbird
is in online state. put thunder in offline state, click "dual terminal"
icon in lower left of thunderbird window, then run compacting manually.
manual compacting can be done from Menu bar or pressing <alt+f>,<f>.
manual deleting of trash is <alt+f>,<t>.

also, if you have an email holding folder anywhere and you have filters
to direct emails to folder, drag and drop email folder anywhere within
account top folder or Local Folder top folder. do not drag and drop
between them.

after a folder is moved, thunderbird will update filters to reflect move.
same applies to renaming a folder.

--
peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.