Re: Nvidia GeForce Gt 705

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 08:50:19PM +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-08-16 at 14:37 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > thanks! I installed the akmod-nvidia package..
>
> This generally works, however be aware that there is currently an issue
> when updating your system via dnf. If a new kernel is installed, the
> akmod system will create a new kmod rpm and then try to install it.
> Quite often the installation will fail because the calling dnf command
> still holds a lock on the database, but you won't know this until you
> reboot your nice new kernel and suddenly the video doesn't work.
>
> The workaround is to check /var/cache/akmods/nvidia/.last.log after a
> new kernel has been installed but before booting. If it shows an error
> (jump to the end of the file) you still have time to manually install
> the new rpm before rebooting.

When an nvidia card is present, the akmod-nvidia package is present,
and a new kernel is installed, it is necessary to ensure that a new
nvidia.ko module is created.  One might expect that this would be a
natural requirement of the dnf process, which would not terminate
until that task had been accomplished.

Sadly, it is NOT.  Until this is fixed, what I do to protect myself
against a failed reboot is this:

1)  Near the end of the dnf update, run top and watch for abnormally
intense cpu activity AFTER dnf concludes, looking especially for
instances of cc1, rpmbuild, and any other processes being run by user
'akmods'.  These suggest that the building of nvidia.ko is underway.
Do NOT reboot until this is done.

2)  Look for the existence of the new module for the NEW kernel:
    find /lib/modules -name nvidia.ko
Only if it exists, is it safe to reboot.

3)  If not, try to build it manually (as root, of course):
    akmods
or
    akmods --force

4)  If this fails and an error message says why, the new kernel must
NOT be used.  Edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to change the default from 0
to 1.  Wait for a solution.

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        dad@xxxxxxxx         www.datix.us

"God tells me how the music should sound, but you stand in the way."
        -Arturo Toscanini to a trumpet player