Re: Thank God for yum-deprecated :-)

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 17:35:18 +0200,
 Jan Zelený <jzeleny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's basically what --allowerasing is about. The idea is that when you run
upgrade, you most likely don't want this upgrade to remove any of the packages
that are currently installed on your system. As the name says, the --
allowerasing switch removes this assumption, allowing the dependency solver to
have more available solutions to choose from.

But it doesn't always remove packages that would allow upgrading another package. The documentation doesn't appear to give precise information about when packages will be erased in order to allow upgrades. The case where I'd like to see it work is when there is a soname bump, but not all dependencies have been updated yet. In most cases I prefer to remove the unupdated packages temporary so that I can use the latest version of the library. It would also be useful for upograding between Fedora releases where retired packages can also block library updates.

Back to your original question, I am not sure what the problem is. You seem to
describe a situation where package has some broken deps and therefore can't be
installed in which case it is not going to be installed, neither by yum nor by
dnf and --skip-broken will have no effect on that. Or am I missing something?

There are cases where yum gets to a point where it won't do any installs or updates, even though --skip-broken is turned on and some installs or updates are possible. You can work around this by trying to update or install a smaller set of packages. For updates dnf is better, but for installs it is currently worse.