Re: TB - Sort add-on

On 06Jul2015 10:18, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/06/2015 09:46 AM, jd1008 wrote:
Add to this is that the entire mozilla libraries are still
using 32 bit file size limits!
Just tried it by catenating many folders into a single folder
exceeding 4GB (11.8 GB, to be exact).

Yes, and Maildir is the intended solution to that limit, because compacting mbox files is an expensive operation,

Maildir is really a solution to lockless parallel mail folder access. It does store things as inidivdual messages, one per file, and I use it in my larger more active mail folders. My less active folders (receiving filed email, but accessed in frequently) are mboxen: it is more compact and cheaper to in storage and filesystems.

and incremental backup of mbox files is difficult or impossible depending on your backup software. [...]

In my world mboxen are easier to back up in some ways, more expensive in others. I backup with rsync and date stampted hardlinked backup trees: unchanges files get hardlinked to the next tree. In this scheme a Maildir only makes new files for the new messages, which is a win in storage. But a larger maildir is very slow to scan, especially on a physical disc. By comparison, an mbox makes a whole new copy of the mbox if it gets changed, but it is very cheaper to scan (one file).

I'm still amazed that TB doesn't let you use Maildirs; they're hardly difficult.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>

My life is a never ending battle for the forces of good.
Unfortunately, unlike many other crusaders for righteousness, in my
system of morality, the right thing to do is very often to sit around
reading the paper or watching TV.       - Tim_Mefford <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>