Re: Thunderbird question

On 07/04/2015 05:55 PM, g wrote:

On 07|--04|--15 14:56, jd1008 wrote:
Many emails in my Inbox no longer display.
what is displayed is set by select in main menu bar;

    View > Folders > [X] All

also, in main menu, you can select;

    Edit > [account name] > Server Settings > Server Settings

   [X] Leave messages on server
      [ ] For at most [   ] days
      [X] Until I delete them

this will leave emails on server for you to periodically log into your
account and delete old emails.
These are indeed the current settings.

I mean I can see the emails listed in chronological order from oldest at
top to newest at bottom.
order of display is set by select in main menu bar;

    View > Sort by > { personal selections }
I always keep that sort by date, such that most recent is at bottom.

But many older emails simply do not display when I click on the email
in the list.
this may be cause by a corrupted Inbox.

there are many causes. one that is debated as to it causing problems
is if you have subfolders under account's Inbox.

another cause is to move or delete emails and not compress Inbox
periodically.

a sure way not to corrupt Inbox is to _filter_all_incoming_email_ to
subfolders under account or Local Folders.

create a new sub folders under "account name" or "Local Folders".

drag and drop sub folders from under "Inbox" to under new subfolder,
or Local Folders, so that you have;

example:

     account name
        or
     Local Folders
      +--Inbox
      +--Drafts
      +--Templates
      +--Sent
      +--Trash

      +--Family   <- top folder - do NOT filter or move messages to here
      |  +--Uncle Bob
      |  +--Aunt Mary
      |  +--Mom and dad
      |  +--Grandpa

      +--friends  <- top folder - do NOT filter or move messages to here
      |  +--bill
      |  +--bob
      |  +--jane

      +--unclassified-emails  <- name this what ever you wish
      |  +--001  <- name these what ever you wish
      |  +--002
      |  +--003

      +--sorted-email  <- top folder - do NOT filter or move messages to here
         +--Business email
         +--Family account
         +--Alternate account
Non of my subfolders are under Inbox.

after you have new tree set up, create filters to move emails to proper
subfolders.
This is a good idea if I can filter by sender. I will look into it.
any new emails that come in that you do not have filter for, drag and
drop them to 'unclassified-emails' subfolders.

i have used account Inbox filtering from as far back as 1st days of
netscape and i have yet to loose any emails.

if you create filters all you family, friends, subscribed lists, any
email that shows in Inbox will be new desired or spam.

if new desired, create a filter and a subfolder for it.

if spam, highlight and click 'Spam' icon to mark as such. after a few
such markings, spam filtering will automatically pick it up and move
to Spam folder.

granted, all of this takes time and effort on your part. but once it is
done, you will have very little to worry about as to loosing emails and
spam.

I have exited TB and restarted it to no avail.
that seldom works.