Re: Strange booting problem

On 06/30/2015 05:10 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Gordon Messmer
<gordon.messmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/30/2015 03:41 PM, jd1008 wrote:
So, it begs the question:

(that's not what "begs the question" means)
Yes. It's an accusation.

Can I create a disk with msdos partitioning scheme,
none of the partitions marked as bootable, and have bios
quickly skip over it to the next device in the boot sequence?

So far it looks like the answer is "no" or "it depends on your BIOS."

Both SeaBIOS and your Dell BIOS, based on what we've seen, will attempt to
use the boot sector of a disk with a valid MBR, even when the boot sector is
all zeros.  That's consistent with all of the documentation I can find.
It's possible that other BIOS might skip an all-zero boot sector, but we
don't have any documentation of which systems behave that way.
That seems to be true.

However, also based on testing, it seems that if you used GPT for your
partitions, then BIOS would skip over the drive during the boot process.
No because every GPT creator also creates a PMBR which includes the
MBR boot signature that you're telling us causes (some) BIOS's to use
the entire MBR and then hang if it has nowhere to go.

So, maybe that's a solution?  The only reasons I can think of to use MBR are
a) you have an operating system that can't read GPT and b) you need to boot
from the drive under BIOS.  I don't think either of those apply to you.
If you have such a BIOS, the work around is to not partition it either
MBR or GPT. If it needs partitioning, use LVM on the whole block
device. It has a signature the BIOS won't know about.

OMG!!!
LVM!!!
The other OS will most certainly NOT be able to make use
of that drive :) :)