Re: What Seriously Ails Fedora

On 05/28/2015 01:07 PM, stan wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2015 11:26:12 -0600
jd1008 <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]
Some of these problems seem to stem from the fact that not all
installed rpms of the current release (let's say 21) are made
available in f22.
[snip]
So, I am wondering if the thought has even crossed the minds of the
fedora project architects/managers/directors to properly address this
issue.

I have been a victim f this particular issue ever since the early
fedora core
days.
If you've been here that long, then you know that the issue isn't that
the problem isn't recognized.  It's that there isn't enough man(and
woman)power to do all the things that need doing.  So, the tasks that
have the most effect are prioritized.

Even at a cash cow like Windows, the managers probably wish they could
have more resources to do the things they want done.

So, absent an alien army of minions, are you volunteering to pick up all
the dropped and obsoleted packages?

[snip]
That said, I am totally against the elimination of those packages
from the user's system just to please the update and upgrade
processes. Somehow fedora project needs to come up with a scheme to
let the previous release's packages
and their dependencies to continue to live and work in the new
release and subsequent releases without raising any problems or
errors for updates and upgrades.
Maybe you should have a look at NixOS.  Or Gentoo.

What you are talking about entails either recompiling everything when
changes occur, or having multiple versions of packages on the system,
especially libraries.

Lots of overhead in the first, lots of security exposure in the second.

And sometimes, the package you want to bring forward is obsolete, no
longer supported, or on the waning side of technological
progress. What happens then? Seen lilo lately?

The people involved with Fedora are smart.  Sure, they sometimes miss
things, but they definitely consider issues like this.

Your comment sounds like 'surly dog' to me.  With all your experience,
you didn't recognize the reason a package didn't update.  You even
mention that you've experienced this many times before.  And you're
surly and trying to make it someone else's fault.  Doesn't fly for me.
And the Fedora folks don't deserve it.
Your reply  is indeed a serious flaw in your type of mentality
and is a strong contributer to the problem at hand.

Your assumptions about what I think of the developers are utterly flawed!!!