Re: Fedora 22 is here!

Hi Matthew,

Looking forward to this release.  I haven't read the release notes yet,
however I have a few questions or comments.  If "read the release notes"
is the best answer, please feel free to say so :).

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 09:49:49AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> * Atomic Improvements – Fedora 22 Atomic Host includes a number of
>   interesting improvements, including the Atomic command, updated
>   Docker, Kubernetes, Flannel, and rpm-ostree packages.
>
> * Dockerfiles – Fedora 22 also includes a fedora-dockerfiles
>   package (and up-to-date git repository) for building applications
>   with the base Fedora 22 Dockerfile and additional packages.

I'm interested in running SLC containers on Fedora hosts.  Does any of
these packages facilitate that?  What I understood so far is, it allows
me to run the latest Fedora containers in other places easily.  Where
would one go looking for info for a need like mine?

> * Cockpit will be compatible between OS releases -- Cockpit is a
>   server manager that makes it easy to administer your GNU/Linux
>   servers via a web browser.
>
>   - Easy to use. Cockpit is perfect for new sysadmins, allowing
>     them to easily perform simple tasks such as storage
>     administration, inspecting journals and starting and stopping
>     services.
>
>   - No interference. Jumping between the terminal and the web
>     tool is no problem. A service started via Cockpit can be
>     stopped via the terminal. Likewise, if an error occurs in the
>     terminal, it can be seen in the Cockpit journal interface.
>
>   - Multi-server. You can monitor and administer several servers
>     at the same time.

I tried this a bit already, I like the convenience of having everything
aggregated together, however I'm a bit uneasy that a browser is the
interface.  After all it is the most vulnerable application on most
machines.  Are there other (safer) interfaces I can try, preferably on
the CLI?  Am I being unreasonably paranoid?  I'm really interested in
trying the multi-server bits.  Any pointers?

> * Better notifications.

 [...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

>   details. And if you're a serious Terminal user, longer background
>   jobs now notify you when they're done, so you can get on with
>   other work and pick up the results when you're ready.

Is this desktop agnostic?  I use XFCE.  I'm guessing it's some kind of
DBUS magic?

> Fedora Labs
> -----------
>
> We also have a new site, presenting functional bundles of software
> which were previously also collected as Spins. Visit
> https://labs.fedoraproject.org/ for collections focusing on gaming,
> audio production, robotics, security, and more.

Collecting all the resources on RTD is a great initiative.  Wonderful!

> GNU Compiler Collection 5
> -------------------------
>
> Fedora 22 comes with GCC 5.1 as the primary compiler suite.

This question is probably off-topic here, but I'll ask anyway :-p.  Does
this make a significant difference during development when I want my
projects to also compile with older GCC like 4.[89]?

> Fedora's FedUp utility enables an easy upgrade to Fedora 22 from
> previous releases. See the FedUp page on the Fedora wiki for more
> information:

This question is not exactly about FedUp.  I find it strange that no
release so far has supported yum (or dnf now) as one of the upgrade
methods.  And yet, I have had the most reliable upgrade experiences with
it since F12 or so!  Any reason why this is the case?  I think it is the
method that allows for the shortest of downtimes.

Thanks for the release.  Looking forward to trying it!

Cheers,

--
Suvayu