Re: Replacing laptop cpu

On 05/23/2015 04:44 PM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 10:03 AM, jd1008 <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jd1008@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I have an HP laptop with
    AMD Turion II X2 mobile processor RM-72 / 2.1 GHz CPU, Socket S1.
    It is now causing blue screens in windows and freezes
    linux (pclinuxos, knoppix, fedora live).

    I have run the x86 mem test for more than a day, and
    found no problems with the 4GB ram (2GB X 2).

    I am wondering why the memtest does not freeze????
    could it be that only one core is causing the problem?

    At any rate I wanted to replace it with
    AMD Turion II Ultra M660 TMM660DBO23GQ 2.7GHz Dual-Core Mobile CPU
    Processor, Socket S1

    Will I be running into any problems?

It's difficult to tell what exactly is causing your problem. At some level, laptops are disposable computers. It's hard to really "fix" them. They are hard to disassemble and reassemble. At least on a build-it-yourself desktop you can replace the motherboard without too much pain and suffering and get an overall performance boost at the same time.

But laptops? They're getting harder to work on, not easier. I got one for my daughter that was really cheap, and one of the things contributing to the cheapness was the lack of a replaceable battery. You can't pop the battery out. There is no access to the RAM, hard drive or battery unless you take the thing apart completely.

It's not like there was some kind of laptop-repair nirvana of years past. Once I had to replace a dead hard drive in an Apple iBook G4, and with detailed instructions it took about three hours.

Other laptops allow swapping of a hard drive or RAM in minutes. But even one of my older Toshiba laptops (say 12 years old at this point) didn't offer easy access to the hard drive.

If you can swing it, I'd just get a new laptop.

Well,
the cpu is easily removable. It is under the heat sink
which is also easily removable. This laptop is indeed
very easy to open up and put back together.

I am waiting for a couple of CPU and laptop gurus (they create
unbranded laptops), to get back to me about this question.

Thanx.

JD