Re: /home when moving to Fedora from Ubuntu

On 05/16/2015 12:41 PM, g wrote:

On 05/16/2015 08:41 AM, Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
Hi Danishka and bitlord,

Thanks a lot for the fast responses.

It's exactly what bitlord has explained. It seems that it is just a
matter of labelling/display in anaconda. So I think it is safe to
proceed with mounting the ubuntu /home as the home for fedora.
i have not installed latest fedora, so i presume there is
still an /etc/fstab.

if so, consider making the install and not include old /home,
then, after install, as root, edit fstab and add your old /home.

i have done this for many years and it has always worked.

hth.
There is still an fstab and your suggestion is the easiest way to solve the issue.

However, and it may have been just an old wives' chicken superstition, that one should not share the same /home between different distributions, or use a /home populated by one distribution as /home for another. The reason given to me is there are too many similarly named setup and configuration files that simply don't "translate" from one distro to another.

User application data files can certainly be moved across, but each installation should be allowed to set up it's own /.config and /.local under /home according to it's own needs. Applications should be installed fresh from the new distribution's repository (or built fresh using the new distro's build tools).

I would not expect any problem if you're just upgrading by fresh install within the same distribution, but I would be be prepared for for problems if migrating from Ubuntu to Fedora whilst using the same /home.

RBM