Re: Biting the bullet?

On Mon, 11 May 2015, Rolf Turner wrote:

I am currently running Fedora 17.  Which is of course antediluvian. But

The last version I succesfully installed was F17.

everything I have seen on this list with respect to upgrading terrifies me. Disasters seem to lurk everywhere and I haven't the skills to cope with disasters. Nor do I have access to any support in respect of Fedora.

I've never used FedUP, so do not know how reliable it is.

So, if you will bear with me, I'd like to start off with a preliminary question:

The seeming necessity for upgrading arises from a pressing need to upgrade "R" to version 3.2.0. When I try to build this version I get a load of error messages (basically coming from gcc I think) like unto:

connections.o: In function `gzcon_write':
/home/rolf/Desktop/Rinst/R-3.2.0/src/main/connections.c:5469: undefined
reference to `deflate'

Absent an upgrade, you will need to chase
down the undefined references and define them.
The source might have suggestions.

zip uses deflate.  Its source might be useful.

Given that the answer to my preliminary question is "No", can anyone be so kind as to provide me with a *recipe* for upgrading, expressed in simple-minded terms that I can understand? Something of the form:

FedUp appears to be an answer.
I would need to trust it a lot to use it on an irreplaceable installation.

Copy /home and /etc to external storage.
From a live disk, make the partitions that you will need later.
Put empty filesystems on them.
If /home is not already a separate partition, make it so:
    From a live disk:
        mount F17's / read-only as /F17-slash
        mount a partition with an empty filesystem as /home-new
        cd /F17-slash/home ; cp -a  * .[^.]* ..?*  /home-new
        To make F17 use it, would require editing /F17-slash/etc/fstab
        /F17-slash would have to be remounted writeable
Boot the install disk.
Tell anaconda you want a custom install.
Do not tell it to format any partitions.
/ and /var should be separate, previously empty partitions.
/home should be your /home partition.

If you are lucky, all your ~/.configuration-whatever
files will still be useable by their respective applications.

If you run into trouble with global configuarations,
the contents of the old /etc might be some help.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical