Re: WiFi restoration

Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> One room in my house is at the boundary of WiFi reception,
>> and WiFi occasionally fails there.
>> When this happens it is nearly always restored by re-booting.
>> Re-starting NetworkManager never does the trick, however.
>> Is there any other step I could take, short of re-booting?
>> I'm running Fedora-21/KDE.

sean darcy:
> I'm about 10 feet directly across from an n wireless router. And what
> you describe happens 2-3 times a day. Never on my wife's windows laptop.
> BTW, I don't reboot, just disconnect and reconnect.

You could be in a dead spot for wireless reception - reflections of
signals around the room you're in merge and cancel out where your
computer's antenna is located.  Try moving position a bit.  I can
produce this sort of problem when just a couple of feet from an access
point.

You could be using the same WiFi channel as a neighbour, and the clash
of each others signals messes up yours.  Try changing your access
point's channel.  I've had that problem, too.  Changing channels made a
world of difference.  I wish the interface that shows your nearby
networks that you use to pick the one you wanted showed what channels
were in use, rather than having to use some other debugging tool.  It'd
make setting up your wireless LANs a lot easier.

Some access points have an automatic option for them to pick which
channel to use.  Mine always automatically picked the worst one to use.
Logically speaking, it'd be scanning nearby networks, and avoiding
channels that are in use; or, for where they're all in use, opting to
re-use the channel with the weakest signal, presuming that it was the
furthest one away.  However, there's a fundamental flaw with this
process - the access point can only determine best and worst channels
for itself, your clients are in other locations, and which
already-in-use channels are stronger and weaker, for them, will probably
be a different set of channels than the access point's.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.4-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Apr 13 22:20:50 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.