Re: question about burning and then reading (dd) to confirm sha256sum

On Fri, 2015-04-03 at 08:17 -0600, Ronal B Morse wrote:
> I've deduced that the best predictor of success with optical media is
> country of manufacture.  My preference, in order is:
>
> Japan
> Taiwan
>
> everything else goes straight to recycle.

I seem to recall reading similar experiences, elsewhere.

> Taio Yuden (Japan, Taiwan) are the most reliable in my experience.
> Depending upon where you are they may be branded JVC. Note that JVC
> sources from many places so check the country of manufacture. Japanese
> produced media is not usually available in stores in the US, but you
> can find them easily on the Internet.

I can't remember seeing any of those on sale, anywhere.  Back in my days
of using tapes for video production, I had preferred suppliers and I'd
order in bulk.  But since then, I haven't had a bulk need so I just wait
for a good price on a brand I want in the local shops.  That's getting
harder to do, so I might have to go back to ordering them.  Thing is,
the local pro suppliers aren't really bothered with supporting this, pro
work usually goes around on a hard drive, or USB stick.  DVDs aren't
good enough (far too much video compression).

> Verbatim (Taiwan) generally pretty good. I can't say the same for
> Verbatim (India).

The ones I rely on are from Taiwan, I can't say that I've seen any from
India, around here.

> For some mysterious reason, TY and Verbatim (Taiwan) sell for a
> premium over other media. I wonder if there is a correlation?

Maybe they know they're /that/ much better than the others, and have
found people are willing to pay for it.  They are more expensive than
the crap brands, around here, as well.  Crap ones don't even come on a
spindle, there's just a stack of them bound in plastic wrap, all grazing
and scuffing each other.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.18.9-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 9 17:04:05 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.