Re: sometimes boots f21, sometimes hangs

Hi,

I suspect that I have had this problem (and am having this again), inconsistently with different laptops. Basically, if you boot without rhgb quiet, this is what happens (I posted this earlier, but no resolution was possible): this has happened to me on a Dell Latitude E6400 (in December, but not with the update to kernel 3.19.1 -- will see if the problem crops up with the update to kernel 3.19.2), a Dell XPS 13 (earlier in November with F20 and now again, with the update to kernel 3.19.1) and a Dell Dimension M3800 (earlier with F20 but a different kernel update than the XPS 13, and now again with the update to kernel 3.19.1).

I posted this on a thread (Thu, 18 Dec 2014 titled Fedora 21 update (not upgrade) fails with broken boot) but no resolution was found. I am not even sure what to BZ on, given that not all machines fail.

Btw, here is what happens (taken from my post of 18 Dec 2014), and note that I do not use rhgb and quiet (in the boot parameter) so I get text-based information.

I boot in through grub. Pretty soon, I get:

Generating "/run/initramfs/rsdsosreport.txt"
Welcome to emergency mode! After loggin in, type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ^D to try again to boot into defauly mode.
Give root password for maintenance.
(or press Control-D to continue):

I may say that Ctrl-D does get me the login screen, but why this message/hang and rigmarole?

Any suggestions/pointers would be appreciated. Happy to provide more information as possible.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 13:30:01 -0400 Neal Becker <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> New lenovo X1 carbon.  Sometimes boots, sometimes hangs.
>
> Today tried to boot and repeatly hung, saying
>
> waitjob for /sysroot
>
> Sounds pretty scary.
>
> After repeated attempts, now it is booted OK.
>
> Tried on latest kernel and also previous 1 or 2.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> -- Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it
>
> --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.