Re: Should disks in a raid really prevent booting?

On 03/25/2015 11:33 AM, Ronal B Morse wrote:
On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 14:05 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:24:01 -0400
Paul Cartwright wrote:

If there is an entry in /etc/fstab for ANY UUID that it can't find, it
won't boot... I have run into that problem MANY times...
I have to go in & comment out all entries except / and /home ( assuming
it can find them), then it boots..

I explicitly removed the fstab entries so there wouldn't be
anyone referencing the disks, but it apparently gets upset
simply because the disks are plugged in (I had some version
of the Windows XP installer do that to me once - it wouldn't
ever get as far as letting me install if there was any EXT3
disk partition visible on the system - it would just hang).

You might have to update dracut, too.

I'm not sure what the relationship between dracut and RAID configuration
is. Are RAIDs entered into the initramfs?

That is the discussion. I rarely use software RAIDs (I much prefer to
buy hardware RAID controllers), but I'd think a software RAID that is
required by the fstab at the time of the dracut invocation (and by that
I mean that the fstab says it's used when you run dracut--not that the
drive is really needed at boot or even mounted whe dracut is run),
dracut would have to include the appropriate md driver in the initramfs
so the kernel can assemble the RAID at boot time. I think dracut scans
the fstab, the fstab says it's supposed to be there, therefore the
kernel has to assemble it and it needs the drivers to do it.

If you don't need the RAID at boot, then I think tagging the entry as
"noauto" in fstab would obviate that need. Of course, that assumes
dracut skips entries with that tag. If that's the case, you would have
to mount it manually, however, once the system came up. However,
someone else has said that so long as the fstab has it tagged via a
UUID, e.g.

	UUID=cc48bc1d-3c2e-477a-a276-9b9dbb896637

it's irrelevant whether "noauto" is specified and you'd need the drivers
in the initramfs and the system will try to mount the beblistered
thing. My systems boot fine with drives tagged "noauto" not being
plugged in, but I identify them with LABELs, not UUIDs or device names:

	LABEL=500GB_USB