Re: hdparm problem

On 03/20/2015 01:36 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 03/20/2015 12:25 PM, jd1008 wrote:
Man page says only choices are
and

Does not mention a - preceding either one.

Look at the usage you quoted, and I snipped. It lists -m, but not simply m. In fact, I don't know off-hand of a command that allows you to specify an option without either a single or double dash in front of it.
What you say is weird!!

Here is that segment of the man page:

       --user-master USER
Specifies which password (user/master) to select. Defaults to user password. Only useful in combina‐ tion with --security-unlock, --security-set-pass, --security-disable, --security-erase or --security-
              erase-enhanced.
                      u       user password
                      m       master password

I do not see any hyphens preceding m or u

Also -m has a totally different usage effect:

-m Get/set sector count for multiple sector I/O on the drive. A setting of 0 disables this feature. Mul‐ tiple sector mode (aka IDE Block Mode), is a feature of most modern IDE hard drives, permitting the transfer of multiple sectors per I/O interrupt, rather than the usual one sector per interrupt. When this feature is enabled, it typically reduces operating system overhead for disk I/O by 30-50%. On many systems, it also provides increased data throughput of anywhere from 5% to 50%. Some drives, how‐ ever (most notably the WD Caviar series), seem to run slower with multiple mode enabled. Your mileage may vary. Most drives support the minimum settings of 2, 4, 8, or 16 (sectors). Larger settings may also be possible, depending on the drive. A setting of 16 or 32 seems optimal on many systems. West‐ ern Digital recommends lower settings of 4 to 8 on many of their drives, due tiny (32kB) drive buffers and non-optimized buffering algorithms. The -i option can be used to find the maximum setting sup‐ ported by an installed drive (look for MaxMultSect in the output). Some drives claim to support multi‐ ple mode, but lose data at some settings. Under rare circumstances, such failures can result in mas‐
              sive filesystem corruption.

Maybe you are using some other version???
My hdparm is
# rpm -q hdparm
hdparm-9.45-1.fc21.x86_64