Re: Assistance building a backup server

On 2015-03-05 09:48, Alex Regan wrote:
Hi,
I have a fedora20 system acting as a backup server, and I've exceeded
its capacity. I'd like to build a bigger one, probably using fedora21.

I currently have a 3TB backup system using five 1TB disks in RAID5.
Restore times in case of disk failure are already exceedingly long, so
I'd like to consider another method of providing redundancy, and would
like suggestions.

I'd like to have 6TB of usable space using 2TB disks.

Is ext4 still best for this?

Some RAID variant or is there something better?

Are there any NAS projects that may be beneficial?

Thanks for any ideas.
Alex

A few years ago I read and article about the exact problem you are talking about. Long rebuild times with larger HDDs.

Two things they pointed out is that with the amount of data on the drives, there is also an issue with the write errors being within the amount of data during the rebuild process.

Of course the cloud providers want you to use their services and you can see that with all the recent articles about the death of backups due to clouds.

I got rid of my raid arrays after I lost a drive and lost part of the data on a rebuild. Still needed to use a different backup for recovery.

Some articles I have read are pointing out that people are looking for reliable file systems with error correction built in and then using normal backup techniques.

This is the same option that I am looking at for the future.

Robin