Re: F21 partitioning circus

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/25/2015 12:14 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> One single button with 4000 lines of code behind it. You assume that
>> providing full control in a GUI just happens magically as if that work
>> is already done and the Anaconda folks are willfully disabling things.
>

> I doubt that.

OK well you don't know. And as I've at least had the courtesy to look
at the code, even though I don't read python, I know that seemingly
innocuously simple things aren't actually simple. It's not merely
about sanity checks. If the underlying program doesn't like what
you've done and exits with something other than 0, presumably you want
to know why and that error handling has to be coded, it doesn't just
pass through. If it did just pass through, why aren't you using
kickstart or CLI tools in the first place?

> What we want is a way to turn off most of what the devs would
> consider sanity checks, and get back to the old Unix idea of not stopping
> you from doing something crazy if it also stops me from doing something
> clever.

You haven't even stated what clever thing you want to do that the
installer, as it exists now, won't let you do. I suspect you don't
want what you think is clever actually eviscerated as a bad idea.

> And really, what's the difference between refusing to patch bugs if
> you're using Expert Mode and refusing to examine kernel bugs if the kernel's
> "tainted," at least from the end-user's POV?

I refuse your premise. The feature requesters have no champion
offering to even create this hypothetical Expert Mode, therefore no
one is refusing to patch bugs for something that doesn't even exist.

And refusing to examine bugs on tainted kernels is completely
legitimate because it requires deep understanding and time to know
exactly how far a particular out of tree patch or driver is affecting
the kernel, in order to know whether it's related to a kernel bug.
This is known as defining boundaries of responsibility. It's not like
the kernel devs are being arbitrary with their boundaries, they're in
fact being really clear about it.

--
Chris Murphy