Re: nfs shares not mounted at boot

On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 09:17 +0000, Andrew R Paterson wrote:
> This poroblem occurs on other unices as well, try using the bg option
> in your nfs fstab entry.

Putting fstab entries in is really only useful for what I consider to be
permanently available shares (or drives, if we're not talking about
nfs).  i.e. Things that are *always* present.

For anything that is transitory (flash drives, plug in hard drives),
it's not the best way to handle it, it can cause seriously annoying
problems.  Such things may not always be connected, might be swapped for
other drives plugged in the same place (a device name is not unique),
may not always have the same volume name (several different drives), or
may not have unique names (flashdrives or volume groups with common
default volume names).  Likewise with things on a network, which might
not always be booted up, or the times that the remote things and your
computer are booted up are not always the same.  You end up with a mass
of crap in your fstab file, that you have to manage by hand.

You really want something doing auto-mounting, whether that's noticing
that a drive has been plugged into a port, a device with storage (such
as a phone) has been plugged in or has joined the network, et cetera,
that finds its appearance, and makes it available for you.  And that's
how I've used CD and DVD data discs, flash drives, USB hard drives,
digital cameras, for years.  Plug it in, drive appears, use it.  This is
how people expect it to work.

Or, something that finds it when you look for it, such as how autofs
works.  You browse your way over to /net/hostname/sharename and it
appears.  I've done that, for many years, with NFS, and has been a
godsend over fstab entries (where you get hideously stalled boot-ups, or
stalled shutdowns, because something wasn't available at the right time,
and backgrounding it really didn't help).

And this (autofs) is /almost/ how I expect it to work.  The fly in that
ointment has been that you have to hand type in the hostname, the first
time around, because they don't appear in the list simply because
they're available.  You have to look for them.  But once done, it
remains for the session, and you can bookmark filepaths so you don't
have to type it in again, next time (just use the bookmarked shortcut).

A second fly in that ointment has been that I haven't been able to get a
Fedora 20 box to share one of its filepaths out, at all.  No amount of
messing with the firewall or SELinux has born fruit.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.18.7-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Wed Feb 11 21:16:53 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.