Re: F21 partitioning circus

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM, jd1008 <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Seems like grub UI could be improved by providing clearer
> explanations for each choice and it's consequences.

What GRUB UI? Haha. GRUB upstream is not targeted at the mortal user.
It's basically a buffet of tools for distributions, who then patch the
hell out of it, making them all sufficiently different they end up
with all sorts of incompatibilities. GRUB upstream will invariably say
you need to build their upstream version any time you report a bug,
because they have no idea to what degree distro specific patches have
altered upstream intended behavior. That's how awful the cooperation
and agreement really is, on this very basic plumbing aspect of Linux
OS's.

This is a "How many ways can we boot a computer?" project, is what it
comes down to. So when the goal is finding myriad ways of achieving
the exact same goal, there are no resources for things like
consolidated agreement, let alone polish.

I think the work just on patching GRUB exceeds the work required for
each distro to have their own simple bootloader if they were to have
the discipline in their GUI installers to reduce the layouts and hence
ways to boot the system. It's a big circular "let's make more work for
ourselves" extravaganza.

But then, funny enough, if it weren't for that, we maybe wouldn't have
projects like Fedora Atomic which is really quite cool.

--
Chris Murphy