Re: Passwords stored by Firefox

Allegedly, on or about 15 February 2015, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. sent:
> I have discovered a method of creating passwords that has helped me
> greatly throughout the years. I learned it from this girl who was
> always teased in school for being "weird" LoL!  (Thank you
> Sharon......wherever you are!) So imagine you want to use the word
> "gasoline" as a password.......the simple trick is to "push" each
> letter over by one!

Short passkeys, whether words or letters, are too easy to crack, one way
or another.  Lengthy ones are your best protection.  If *you* have to
type it in, you really want something that you can type easily, and
without making mistakes.  Adding difficult stuff to type in only hurts
you, they're not any harder to the machines cracking your password than
any other characters.

As far as I'm concerned, the easiest way to make lengthy passwords that
you can remember and type in correctly is to combine three or more words
into a passphrase.  Don't use a quote, or logical sentence that someone
may guess at.  e.g. If people know your favourite film, it's stupid to
use a famous quote from it.

Something like "purpleglidingcows" would be something you could type in
easy enough, and picture it in your mind as a memory aid.  It's odd ball
enough that nobody could simply guess it, it's long enough that cracking
it would take ages.  And for a family situation, where you want to tell
others the password to use for something, it's easy enough to tell them
what to type.

While some will argue that real words make it easier to crack, I argue
that the combination of several makes it damn near impossible.  A
cracker has to guess the right number of characters, or words, to try,
as well what characters they might be.  The possibilities of what your
password might be are astronomical.

It's a hell of a long time since I did probabilities in high school
maths, but if you just use letters instead of numbers, each position
could be any of 26 characters (instead of 10 options), and each position
is not related to any other character (one does not determine the
other), so my example means that it represents an unknown number of 26
to the power of 17 that you have to guess at.

Of course if you don't know how long my password is, you've got even
more combinations to deal with (all of the shorter than 17 character
possibilities, too).   So, if we converted that word to numbers, tell me
what number I'm thinking of right now, that might be anywhere between 0
and something with 24 numerals (to give you approx all the possible
variations that my password might have).

If you really think that you could have guessed /that/ password in a
useful time, please let us know the winning lottery numbers for next
week, while you're at it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.