Re: (La)TeX suddenly can't find anything

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 23:24:40 +0100
Andras Simon <szajmi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been using LaTeX on a fully updated Fedora 21, but now suddenly
> even TeXing the simplest plain TeX file produces this:
>
> warning: kpathsea: /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/ls-R: No usable
> entries in ls-R.
> warning: kpathsea: See the manual for how to generate ls-R.

//  Rule number one for anything TeX-related: before you proceed, make
sure that you understand what is going on. ;-)  //

The warning messages are pretty clear: kpathsea is telling you that the
ls-R database is empty or corrupted, and that it should be regenerated.
It also suggests that you look into the manual about how to regenerate
the database.

The easiest way to find the relevant man page is this:

$ apropos ls-R
mktexlsr (1)         - create ls-R databases
texhash (1)          - create ls-R databases

These two man pages actually both point to the mktexlsr man page, which
tells you how to use it to regenerate the ls-R database. In short, you
need to log in as root, and invoke mktexlsr with no arguments, like
this:

# mktexlsr
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/share/texlive/texmf-local///ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/share/texlive/texmf-var/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.

Hopefully that should regenerate the ls-R database on your system,
making kpathsea happy.

By the way, the ls-R database is the list of full paths of all
TeX-related files. A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away it used
to be generated manually by executing the command "ls -R" for a given
directory and putting the result in the (creatively named) ls-R file,
which kpathsea could search through and inform TeX where in the
directory tree it can find the file it needs. Today, the database is
generated by the elaborate bash script (do a "less /usr/bin/mktexlsr"
to see the details), but it still boils down to going to the
appropriate directory and taking the output of "ls -R".

Finally, all four ls-R databases which I have above are ASCII files,
literally the output of "ls -R" for the appropriate directory, with a
couple of lines appended at the beginning. So the fact that you have
binary files there smells to me like something being very wrong with
your files, probably due to the corrupted filesystem you had to deal
with before.

HTH, :-)
Marko