Re: journalctl --follow

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
<wolfgang.rupprecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Is this delayed behavior reproducible in a shell running journalctl -f
>> ? Or only happens with the script log?
>
> I guess I need to get off my duff and run that test.
>
>> If you aren't using rsyslog, I wonder if you can use the single socket
>> designed for this instead, if that's more reliable for something like
>> this?
>
> I didn't know about this.  Thanks! I'll look into it and give it a shot.

Yeah I don't know any details about this hook; but basically
systemd-journald is the single source for logging now, but it provides
a socket for rsyslog (and other conventional loggers that have been
updated) can grab the stream and do their own thing like they have in
the past. But there is only one such socket, and no two loggers can
share it, as I understand things.

The typical use case for this is setting systemd-journald to use
volatile storage instead of writing to disk, and then via this socket
you'd have rsyslog write a conventional /var/log/messages file.
However, in your case you don't have to disable persistent storage (to
disk), you can keep the default behavior writing the journal to disk
(or redirect it to a server for longer term storage); and then have
your special case logger doing its thing locally. I have no idea if
there's a perl hook for this socket or how difficult it'd be to build
one. But I bet dollars to donuts someone on systemd-devel@ already
knows the answer to this question.

>> Anyway, feel free to ignore all of the above. I think you'll get
>> better help from systemd-devel@.
>
> Your outlook is always appreciated.  It is clear to me that you have a
> very good handle on the Linux internals.  Thanks for thinking about this
> and speaking up!

I think I have a below average handle on most Linux internals. I
mostly just have a vivid imagination!

--
Chris Murphy