Re: despirate help needed - Samba and security = share

On 01/26/2015 04:49 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
On Friday 23 January 2015 21:17:55 Pete Travis wrote:
No, please don't do this.  Be honest with yourself about how frequently
you are willing to upgrade this server, and compare that to Fedora's
release cycle.  It doesn't match up.  I'm all for using Fedora, even in
apparently mission-critical situations like yours - but only if the
admin is willing to work with it as the relatively rapid release cycle
distribution that it is.

An appropriate methodology could be:
+0 months  - Upgrade to Fedora 21 now.
+4 months  - When Fedora 22 is released, begin migration planning and
testing +10 months - By the time Fedora 23 is released, you should be ready
to migrate to F22, or you should have already done so.
+10 months - Begin migration testing and planning for F23
+16 months - Complete migration to F23

If your workflow or circumstances can't accomodate more than a one year
lag, consider a distribution that has support cycles longer than one
year.  CentOS comes to mind, most of your knowledge will translate well.

--Pete
Pete,

In an ideal world I agree with everything you say. However, this isn't an
ideal world.

Bear in mind that I'm replacing a Fedora 8 server. This is how often I update
my servers.  These are non-public facing servers, and perform internal
services.

The whole point of installing F16 (I'm now installing F17 as it's still got
mirrors working and still supports what I need) is because SAMBA have
discontinued the feature that I need. I will never be upgrading this server.

The reason I'm using Fedora is that I know Fedora and can use Fedora (even
with all the changes between F8 and F17).
I would have to interject here to state that I believe Pete to be correct. You could switch over to CEntOS and not miss a beat when it comes to administering your server. The same commands you use in Fedora are the same commands you'd use in CEntOS, yum....dnf....plus you can tweak it to your heart's content.....and you could eliminate having to worry about its upgrade cycle since its a bit less frenetic as Fedora's.......just my two cents...

EGO II