Re: Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5 on Alienware laptop

Joe Zeff writes:

On 01/25/2015 08:16 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Searching the dark corners of my mind, I don't really recall that there
were ever a lot of customizations one could do for a new install. As I
recall, you had a choice of picking major components or group of
packages to install, in very broad, and limited categories. You never
really had a lot of leeway in terms of package selection. The installer
was primarily occupied with setting up and partitioning the disks, for
the install.

Actually, I used to be able to decide which groups were installed, which weren't and which optional packages in the groups I wanted. With a Live Image, it's all or nothing.

I remember the group selection, I did not remember that individual packages were selectable.

I can't really say if I like or dislike a Live-based approach to doing new installs. I think that the broad choices between the various spins will probably meet the need of the most users. It would be nice to add some GUI to select the individual packages, but it's easy enough to do it post- install.

A Live install is much faster. I remember that it took hours to install Fedora with a large package selection set. All the constant updating of the RPM database, with each installed package, burns up a lot of time. A Live install just copies the install image to the disk, which takes much less time. Plus, you now have a pretty good confidence level that the install system will boot. If the Live image boots, so will the install. I do remember how old Fedora installers used a stripped down, custom kernel config for the installer, and installed kernels that had minor problems coming up for real.

That's not to say that the spins are perfect. There are some glaring
holes. I installed the XFCE spin yesterday. You can't configure a
printer with the XFCE spin, as is.

Oh?  You mean that the web interface at http://127.0.0.1:631/ doesn't work?

I'm sure it works. But the printer is a network printer, that's not even on the local LAN segment, and adding a network printer via the web interface is clunky. You have to know its exact URL. You can't expect a non-technical user to do it that way. This is something that system-config-printer does in a much friendlier way.