Re: Saving screenshots

On 1/24/2015 3:29 PM, Alex Regan wrote:
Hi,
I'm having a problem with tigervnc and would like to take a screenshot of the error message to file a bug report. I know how to take screenshots, but where are they saved?

The answer depends on the environment installed. I just did this within KDE by using KSnapshot to save an image to my home directory. A click on Dolphin indicated the file size of the file was too big for a bug report, so I double-clicked the image, and it appeared in Gwenview. Shift-S or Edit/Crop put the image in a window with square handles in the centers of the sides, so pulling the handles inward to enclose the desired section does the edit, clicking the crop button at the bottom creates a new file with just that image, and then Cntrl-Shift-S or File/SaveAs opens the dialog to name and save the bug image. The final file size is considerably reduced from the original snapshot, so more appropriate for a bugzilla attachment.

If they're just in the cut buffer, what app can I use to paste them in to? I'd rather not have to install GIMP just for this....

The easiest application into which to paste the image is the default one that handles images of the type taken by whichever snapshot tool is used. For example, KSnapshot takes .png images, and Gwenview by default on my system handles .png images, so saving the snapshot to check its file size allows an easy opening in the default tool to crop the image and remove the unnecessary areas and size. Saving the cropped image has prepared the needed bug file attachment.

Ken