Re: despirate help needed - Samba and security = share

On 01/23/2015 12:13 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:

All of my servers run the same type of setup and it's all based
around "security = share". Why is this so universally declared as bad??

Well, consider how it worked:
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-HOWTO/ServerType.html#id2559439

The client requests a share, and sends a password but no user. The server has to search through all of the users defined to see if the password matches any of them.

So now you have a server that significantly reduces the cost of brute forcing a password, because you can ask it if a given password is valid for the entire user database. That's bad.

Now, when I try some of the examples found online, client PCs seem to be able
to connect to the first share ok but then whenever I try to connect a second
share it complains about having to log out of the first share first.

I suspect you're trying to connect to the second share with a different username and password than the first? That isn't going to work with Samba 4. You'll have to use Samba 3. I'm pretty sure you can use old samba 3 RPMs from a previous Fedora release. At least that way you won't sacrifice security on the rest of the system.

But realistically, you should be doing security=user or security=domain. In that case, you just need to use group membership to effectively govern share access, so that users connect with one username/password instead of several.

It's hard to give you good advice with as little information as you provided. Consider sending your configuration file or posting it somewhere we can read it (pastebin?)