Re: Nouveau driver is fast in Fedora 21 -_-

On 06/01/15 20:32, poma wrote:
On 06.01.2015 09:33, Stephen Morris wrote:

My experience with the proprietary driver and nouveau driver using an
Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 graphics card and KDE is that compared to the
proprietary driver the nouveau driver is horribly slow. I have on
occasion had to use the nouveau driver when I have updated the kernel
and there wasn't a corresponding proprietary driver, in all versions of
fedora F18 to F21, and the system was extremely sluggish with the
nouveau driver. Even opening the Kmenu in the task bar was extremely
slow. I have in the past also tried to run Tux Racer under the nouveau
driver and it was completely unusable. I didn't validate exactly what
sort of performance the nouveau driver was providing, but the impression
from trying to play the game was that it would be lucky if the driver
was giving 1 FPS frame rate.
Perhaps that NVE7 missing firmware for acceleration?

Consequently my recommendation would be for anyone with an Nvidia card
to always use the proprietary driver. In fact, in my opinion, Fedora are
doing users a grave dis-service by not providing/supporting the
proprietary driver in their standard repositories like the other 2
distros I am familiar with using (Ubuntu and Mandriva).

regards,
Steve

Are you intentionally trying to play ignorant here?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems#NVIDIA
The NVIDIA graphics drivers are proprietary, and many kernel developers consider this driver to violate the GPL license of the kernel. Fedora does not include proprietary software.

Until a couple of years or more ago I would have agreed but I have been using Nouveau in Ubuntu and Fedora with Nvidia GT8600 graphics card for everything. Nouveau works a treat except for high intensity rendering 3D graphics with Blender. I have not used KDE for 10 years or more because it was slow then and I believe, from watching others, nothing has changed.
May I suggest something other than KDE and see if there is a difference.
Roger