Re: Getting to GUI in F21

On 12/26/2014 07:52 AM, Beartooth wrote:
	I have an old Dell PowerEdge SC1420, which ceased to be a server
or to have any form of RAID years ago, when I inherited it. Over the
years,
I've run many releases of Fedora on it, one or two of CentOS, and I
disremember
what all else.

	Some OSs figure out my HP w2207h monitor on contact, even from
behind the KVM switch where I normally keep the SC1420; the last few
Fedora
releases have been good about that, iirc.

	Some OSs don't find out how to display anything while behind the
switch, but do if I shut everything down and connect the Dell directly
and alone to the peripherals.

	Some OSs never get it; I have had to tinker endlessly with
xorg.conf a/o grub.conf.

	But now F21 doesn't get it, and I can't seem to find a file that
will let me tell it there is such a thing as a 27" 1680x1050 terminal.
(The only plausible candidates so far open with DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, and
a reference to the other files that set them; but I'm drawing a blank
about any way to reset the setting files.)

	I can ssh into it, and have been updating it regularly; a few
days ago it even accepted a fedup (nonproduct).

	Also, for a little while today, I had a Gnome3 display; I managed
to open a Mate-terminal; but before I could get to a panel, much less a
workspace switcher (one of my must-haves), it suddenly jumped into a
display that looked like a few lines torn from the normal boot messages.

	I couldn't faze that, and finally hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. That got me
to a normal looking boot, except for one "FAILED," which went by too fast
to read. Then, for a little while, it went back to the Gnome3 screen, in
which I had begun adding and removing apps.

	It didn't want to start yumex as root *nor* as user; so I told it
"yum remove evolution," thinking it would keep the data-server, or
whatever that thing is that stays when I remove Evolution with Yumex. It
didn't, and chaos ensued -- till it hit the abominable error message from
the monitor, saying "Input out of range."

	Clue, please?
To get F21 to recognize your monitor you could put a file with the same monitor device sections that you normally put in xorg.conf into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. That directory is where xorg reads it configuration files from these days. You may still have to put the mode statements in there to get the right resolutions for your monitor. I'm not sure if the man entry on xorg.conf still has details on how to specify the information, its been quite some time since I've had to play around with those.

regards,
Steve

begin:vcard
fn:Stephen Morris