Re: Disabling a specific key

On 12/19/2014 05:03 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
On 20/12/14 06:18, jd1008 wrote:

On 12/19/2014 03:27 AM, Rolf Turner wrote:
On 19/12/14 13:56, jd1008 wrote:

On 12/18/2014 05:29 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
On 19/12/14 11:55, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:34:54 +1300
Rolf Turner <r.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 19/12/14 08:27, jd1008 wrote:

If you do not know the KeyCode, run the program:
showkey

and press the key in question
and it's code will be displayed.
You must wait 10 seconds of idle
and showkey program will exit;
then run the sudo script above.

This looks very useful to me .... but as usual I fall at the first
hurdle.  When I type showkey or "showkey -k" I get:

Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console

And that's it.  Anything I can do about this?  (Please note: I am
running Fedora 17 --- yes, I know --- and using a Mate desktop; Mate
1.6.1 .)

You need to run showkey in a proper virtual terminal, aka ctrl-alt-f3
or such. It was not designed to work under X.

HTH, :-)

Did not help, I'm afraid.  I did ctrl-alt-f3 and *absolutely nothing*
happened.

I (repeatedly) tried using "xev" as was proposed by someone else, to
discern the keycode for the key I wished to disable.  The output was
prolific and profuse and incomprehensible.  However after trying *one
more time* and scrolling back through the plethora of output I managed
to guess that the keycode I needed was "67".

So I did:

xmodmap -e "keycode 67 = NoSymbol"

That was accepted without throwing an error, and blow-me-down, the key
in question seemed to be disabled.  Success?  No, not quite.

I then restarted the system to see if the effect would persist. It
didn't!

It would appear that I have to issue the "xmodmap" command every time
that I reboot. Not a *big* deal, but annoying. Is there a way to make
the effect persist?

I tried put the line

keycode 67 = NoSymbol

into the file /etc/X11/Xmodmap, but that seemed to have no effect.

Any other ideas?  Ta.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

Rolf, did you see my other replies?

Well, yes. I've read all the postings in this thread.  A lot of what
was said I did not understand.

You want to do this under the aegis of X server, right?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so.  I just want to disable the key.
I am running the Mate desktop under Fedora 17.  The "X" (X11?) system
is "there" but not paramount, in my limited understanding.

Please tell me what key you wish to disable, and I will show
you how to do it from within a gnome terminal.

The key is the "F1" key (function 1) --- labelled most prominently
with a question mark: "?".  It is next to the ESC key, which I use
frequently
(being a vi/vim user) and although not all *that* physically proximate,
it is close enough so that I often hit it when I reach for the ESC key.
(My clumsiness, I guess.) When it is pressed it pops up a Gnome help
menu, in which I have no interest.

Remember, that the modification might not affect the web browser.
So, leave the web browser out of this.

Gladly!

cheers,

Rolf  Turner

P. S.  The machine in question is a Toshiba Satellite L850 laptop.

R. T.

Rolf, I can disable it after I login and X is up and running and I use
gnome-terminal .
In gnome-terminal
click edit-> Preferences -> Shortcuts
Under shortcuts, scroll down to the line which shows:

Contents                                  F1

doube-click on F1 and text will appear saying  New Accelerator
Now press the backspace key and it will be disabled.
Click Close.

Now F1 key will be inoperative.

Some apps will not honour the disabled status of that key.
Case in point: mate-terminal.
But gnome-terminal does honour the disabled state of the key.

Thanks. That seems to do exactly what I want. Has the advantage of being easily reversible; id est I could reactivate that key if ever I wanted to do so (under some set of circumstances which I cannot imagine).

One comment --- this is probably reflective of my ancient version of Fedora, but when I start a gnome terminal and click on "Edit" there is no "Preferences" option on the menu. (There is a "Profile preferences", but that's not what is needed.) There is a "Keyboard shortcuts" option on the top level of the menu, and that *is* what is needed.

Thanks again.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

Yes, the old version of Fedora's gnome-terminal has slightly different menus.
Glad it helped.

Cheers,

JD