Re: Fedora 21 update (not upgrade) fails with broken boot

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Ranjan Maitra
<maitra.mbox.ignored@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for offering to help!
>
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:14:37 -0700 Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Ranjan Maitra
>> <maitra.mbox.ignored@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > A recent update with new kernel has broken my boot. This is what happens: I boot in through grub. Pretty soon, I get:
>> >
>> > Generating "/run/initramfs/rsdsosreport.txt"
>> > Welcome to emergency mode! After loggin in, type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ^D to try again to boot into defauly mode.
>> > Give root password for maintenance.
>> > (or press Control-D to continue):
>> >

>> > I do not have root on this machine, so I am not sure what to do (I have sudo status). What am I supposed to do? (I may say Ctrl-D does get me the login screen, but why this message and rigmarole)?

Yeah I'm actually confused on this point too, now that I've tried it.

The installer allows installation to complete, without setting a root
password, so long as a user has been created. But emergency shell
requires a root password. So... basic boot time troubleshooting is
incompatible with an installer that allows no root password being set.

I think the easiest, maybe least desirable, and possibly against your
local policy, would be to complete the boot (control-d) and then set a
root password: sudo passwd root

> $ sudo cat /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt
> cat: /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt: No such file or directory

I'm going to guess, that this file goes away after boot completes, it
doesn't get moved anywhere. And since you can't login as root, you
can't copy it somewhere else. So... to get that report you'd going to
need to be root.

For security purposes, you could make the root password temporary for
troubleshooting, then change it again from your regular (admin)
account: sudo passwd root, and make it an impossible password that you
don't record anywhere, you could even has the proposed password
through shasum and use that as the password and not record it
anywhere. Basically deep six root. It's no different than root without
a password. If any wheel account is hacked, they can change the root
password in any case.

--
Chris Murphy