Re: Fedora 21: Cannot scan to EPSON WF-2540

On 12/13/2014 10:46 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:

Hello all,

   I can't scan to my Epson WF-2540 printer/scanner. About 1 nanosecond
after running skanlite a dialog box comes up saying no devices were
found. Of course it prints fine. This printer is shown as compatible for
both printing and scanning on the Linux Foundation site (where I got the
driver for it).

  I have tried this so far:

- turned off firewalld

- ran tcpdump between the computer and printer, then ran skanlite again.
There is no indication that there was ever any communication between them.

- ran skanlite with strace. Lot's of output (duh) but no smoking gun that
I could see.

  My old Fedora 14 system can find the scanner just fine, and you can see
the network traffic pretty clearly. If anyone has any ideas I would sure
like to hear them.

Jim Lewis

Have you downloaded the scanner driver from Epson? Also, do you have the SANE
app? (I'm not familiar with the guts of Fedora--I used it years ago, but I'm
not using it now.) It may be that skanlite is just another sane front-end.
Anyway, I have found that sometimes the scanner "just works"--perhaps there's
some generic drivier in the OS, and sometimes it doesn't, in which case you
have to go to Epson's Linux download section, and find your all-in-one
machine and download the scanner portion. (It seems you have the printer part
working OK, but if there are things there that don't work, you can download
printer driver software form the same site.)

If there is more than one Epson listed in the driver for your machine--i.e.
Epson 1 and Epson 2, try both. My setup is networked on a LAN, and I had
to select Epson 2. (I have a different model Epson all-in-one, the WP4530,
but I imagine my experience may be common to other machines also.) You will
need to open the driver and select 1 or 2 and see what happens. (If you have
1 and 2. I do.)

When you get it to work, it should do a real nice job. Epson practically
invented the scanner and their scanners work really nicely.

Good luck--doug