Re: fedup - luks encrypted system

Chris Murphy writes:

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 7:20 AM, Michael Morgan <<URL:mailto:mmorgan@xxxxxxx>mmorgan@xxxxxxx> wrote:

   I ran into a hang like BZ 1160079 while upgrading from F20 on a similar
   setup yesterday. I didn't have any issues with disk space but the reboot
   did get stuck on the LUKS container when trying to unmount sysroot.
   Power cycling at that point was a bit frightening but the system came
   back up without issue.

Best to try 'reboot -f' which should still cleanly unmount filesystems. And if that doesn't work then sysrq + s, u, b (in order). If that doesn't work, OK power cycle.

Hit the same bug here too, with a LUKS-based laptop.

I forgot about reboot -f. sysrq+s did not do anything; sysrq+u made the entire console output from the entire installation process, from start to finish, scroll through the console at warp speed, looping 3-4 times, which was highly amusing to watch; sysrq+b did not do anything.

The reboot was getting stuck unmounting some of the LUKS volumes. There were about five or six unmount tasks that systemd spawned off. All but two of them had the default 90 second timeout, and they were killed afterwards. Two of them had an unlimited timeout, and that's where the reboot gets stuck.

The three-fingered-salute produced a response, though. Unfortunately, it was the same reboot cycle, again. 90 seconds to time out all but the two remaining jobs, then spin forever.

After a reboot, the system looks ok. forcefsck didn't find anything to complain about.

So… Has anyone been able to update a LUKS-encrypted system, without getting stuck at the end? I couldn't find anything in Bugzilla.