Re: OT: NFS and iOS -

I'm kinda coming into this discussion late.

SMB is pretty universal, so if you want to simplify you can just serve
over SMB. Windows, OS X, iOS, and Linux clients can all use it. For
iOS I'm finding "FileExplorer Free" By Steven Zhang.

There are some drawbacks using both SMB and NFS on the same directory:
there are different file name limitations, so it's possible to be
allowed to name a file via SMB, and then not access or delete the file
on NFS; and vice versa. And I think xattr aren't possible with NFS.

"the data" can be at <pathtodata> which would be a mount point for the
brick it's stored on; and then

# mount -B <pathtodata> <smbshare>
# mount -B <pathtodata> <nfsshare>

So you get different directories configured for SMB vs NFS sharing,
but due to the bind mount the underlying storage is the same.

Netatalk is an open source implementation of AFP (Apple Filing
Protocol). Presently Apple OS X starting with version 10.9 (about a
year ago) prefers SMB over AFP for file sharing. It still prefers AFP
over SMB for remote Time Machine Backups as there are some features
Time Machine needs that aren't available yet in SMB.

WebDAV sounds like it's viable also, having the benefit of better
performance externally (shares over the internet). I get a bunch of
file size limitation results with Google, but all seem to be Windows
(as host) limitations, not something inherent to WebDAV. There's also
some speculation that internal sharing via WedDAV doesn't perform as
well. But WebDAV's advantage is that it doesn't have ancient versions,
all of which SMB is expected to fall back on. I've found Samba to be
quite a bit more difficult to setup than either Netatalk or NFS. I
haven't done a WebDAV setup yet but it sounds interesting. What I'd
want to know is if remote modification is OK, rather than transfer
locally, modify, transfer back to remote - that's a PITA workflow I
think. Implies file locking is necessary.

--
Chris Murphy