Re: What is the deal with rpmfusion nvidia updates?

On 11/11/2014 01:53 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
Joe Zeff wrote:

On 11/09/2014 01:40 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:
Try to install the new kernel first, then after, see if the new kmod
will update.
Speaking from experience, when you update the kernel, the new kmod (if
available) is normally drawn in as a dependency.
Except when, as I just showed, it isn't.
Just my 2 cents worth, as I understand things the kernel does not have kmod-nvidia as a dependency, its the other way around, kmod-nvidia has a dependency on the kernel version it has been compiled for. For example, when I did a full system update yesterday the kernel was upgraded to the latest version available in the mirrors dnf is using and kmod-nvidia was upgraded to 3.16.6 at the same time, and then this morning rpm fusion notified of an upgrade to kmod-nvidia to 3.16.7. I have just done a normal 'dnf upgrade' which upgraded, in my case, kmod-nvidia and kmod-virtualbox both to 3.16.7. Just further to this I have also been in the situation where a kernel has been updated and kmod-nvidia has not and at boot time the nvidia driver would not start because the installed one was not compatible with the new kernel. My system was still usable because I could reboot into the older kernel that was compatible with the installed kmod-nvidia driver, but in addition, xorg also falls back to the nouveau driver if the nvidia driver doesn't work, and, if the nouveau driver is not available it falls back to the vga driver before it gives up. Having said this, compatibility between kmod-nvidia and the kernel is not that big a deal for me as I also have akmod-nvidia installed so the driver will be compiled and installed at boot time if necessary anyway.

regards,
Steve

begin:vcard
fn:Stephen Morris