Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

On 28/10/14 22:26, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

On 10/23/2014 03:19 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 10/22/2014 06:11 PM, jd1008 wrote:

Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?

Isn't that what Ubuntu is for?

With Centos7, we are finally at a stable, long-term usable OS of our own. Given that it is built on F19, it has support for lots of notebooks and stuff. It will be around for the next 10 years.

Just choose which desktop you 'like' the most. I personally am looking very hard at xfce instead of gnome.

If you want as close a whiskers to maintenance free get an Apple/Mac/whatever`. It makes all those problems go away. But one still, like with Linux, has to update. All things Linux require updating and maintenance. Choice of desktops is arbitrary because all need some learning curve. Personally I have no problem with Unity and the Fedora desktop, I found it a retrograde step going to mint, xfce or the like. Otherwise CentOS, Ubuntu, and the other Linuxen mentioned over the past weeks would suffice. Down load a few to usb sticks and try them. There's no easy Linux option unfortunately. As someone mentioned in the last days, you get recommendations from people who are comfortable with their own system however that may not be indicative for your case. This thread has gone over the same ground for many days without resolution because no one can solve the fear, lack of want, or inability to learn basic tools, and in a venture like providing an alternative OS and desktop, as someone pointed out to me, months ago, You're going to be on call for everything. So I'm thinking, for what it's worth, just download and try the live versions.
My 0.02 cents worth
I hope this helps in some way.
Roger