Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

On 10/23/2014 12:57 PM, Pete Travis wrote:
At first, there were a lot of "How do I do this thing I don't already
know how to do" questions.  I had to set up the machine with flash and
rpmfusion codecs for her.   With that out of the way, 'support requests'
are rare; it just works.

My older sister and I share what used to be our parent's retirement condo. It didn't take more than five minutes with a LiveCD of Ubuntu for her to know that this was what she wanted. After Unity came out, she spent almost a year trying to work with it before switching to Xfce, and when we needed to re-install because something got messed up, we used Xubuntu. On a day-to-day basis, she manages her box on her own, and asks for much less help than when she ran Windows. She's even been known to find and follow instructions that need her to use a terminal without asking me to do it or watch what happens. (As long as I can see what she was told to do, I can either reverse what happened or find out how to at the Ubuntu forum.) For her, It Just Works.

My suggestion is to make up one or more LiveCDs and let your wife experiment with them. If/when you find the one she likes, you can set her up as a dual boot so that she's always got something familiar to fall back on. I don't know about other distros, but I do know that if Ubuntu's installer detects Windows, it will ask if you want to have access to it from Ubuntu. If you do, it auto-mounts the Windows partition at boot and puts an icon on your desktop.