Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

On 10/23/2014 12:33 AM, ny6p01@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 09:39:17PM -0400, Doug wrote:
On 10/22/2014 09:11 PM, jd1008 wrote:
Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which,
in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her
windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.

So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a linux
distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech
savvy for
doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports,
.....etc.

Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?

Thanx.
I like PCLInuxOS, since it is a rolling release, and you never have to
reinstall it. The update procedure is pretty simple, and adding
apps via Synaptic is also pretty simple. The KDE desktop is reminiscent
of Windows, and it's possible to work from the menu itself,
or to put icons (widgets?) on the desktop and start programs from them,
just as it is in Windows. The PCLOS Forum is a very
helpful group, and you normally get an answer to a question within 24
hours, sometimes less. I didn't start my Linux career with
PCLOS, so I can't say for certain what a new user from Windows would
say, but I think it is a good system, and I'v been with it for
over 4 years. (And it doesn't, at least not yet, have systemd! Altho a
novice would probably never notice the difference.)
IIRC, when PCLOS was initiated several years ago, their stated purpose was
to be a seamless experience for the LInux novice.  I was happy to hear they
are still going strong and also happy to hear that they are a rolling
release, which ensures an up to date system.  So, I second your
recommendation!

Lee
Thank you for this vote of confidence.
I have downloaded it and burned it on a DVD.
Will be installing it on the lady's computer as soon as
she can let go of it for a short time.
She will need some basic tutoring.