Re: is it the future?

On 09/22/2014 05:27 PM, jd1008 issued this missive:

On 09/22/2014 04:59 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Richard Hughes wrote:
On 9 September 2014 08:55, Balint Szigeti <balint.szgt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Maybe I have watched too many films...

Yes, you have. If you don't like the direction systemd is taking then
please install one of the BSD's and stop the discussion on this user
list. Thanks.

Spoken like a true fascist, Richard. I checked the duty roster and
it's not your week to be God, either.

I agree that systemd is totally failing at its original direction, and
note that it has delayed migration to newer RHEL versions due to the
need to find budget for sysadmin training. That said, I am not
claiming that it has not use, just that it addresses (some say
creates) problems many sites don't have.

If RHEL7 allows, systemd will be removed and sysvinit installed rather
than do that. There are a lot of sysvinit packages there, I suspect
they will do the job. Pushing the init migration out another five
years will let people skip systemd and go to the next big thing
(possibly fatsock from CMU, however they do odd capitalization). Like
many things it is a huge server solution fitted awkwardly to medium
servers, introducing a high complexity to benefit ratio.

While I agree with you Bill in principe, I am always reminded that
Fedora is
primarily for creating and testing new ideas.
Scant few, serious medium to large scale business servers, use Fedora
due to
unexpected changes that would break the sysadmin's scripts or customary
ways
of doing things.
So, yeah... fedora assumes it's users are it's guinea pigs :)

The danger here is that Fedora generally becomes RHEL (and thus CentOS)
at some point. As I said before, systemd is a silly, convoluted,
bloated, overly-complex solution to a problem that never existed.
Reboots aren't that common (certainly not on the server side of things)
and trying to parallelize a rare operation is sort of a waste of the
developers' time. I do wish they'd stop addressing exceptions rather
than the more common day-to-day stuff.