Re: Recovering files from ext2/3

On 09/21/2014 08:58 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 09/20/2014 10:50 PM, jd1008 wrote:

On 09/20/2014 09:41 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 09/20/2014 08:30 PM, jd1008 wrote:
/ posted it to the ext3 maling list (turns out they also know ext4)
and they admitted about undocumented effects of using the -S
option, and that one must NEVER use it unless they know the intrinsics
of the FS so well, that the user knows exactly what effects it will
have.

Sounds like a pretty useless option, then, and that sort of exchange is
exactly the sort of thing I don't want to get involved in.

Digging down into my hack stack, the next thing I would try is to make
a sparse file of exactly the same size as your partition (you can use
the /truncate/ command to do that), then run /mkfs.ext3/ on that file
and copy the resulting super block, which is the 2nd 1K block in the
file, to your broken filesystem.  Then you could see whether /debugfs/
can make any sense of that filesystem and what /fsck/ might try to do
to restore it.  The first time through, just answer "n" to anything
/fsck/ wants to fix and just get a feeling for the extent of the damage.

Good suggestion!!
I will try it and report back.

I did some further investigation, and now I see what is happening.
If your version of /mke3fs/ is not the same one that created the
filesystem, or if the FS has been resized or had other structural
changes, then the new one will likely be created with slightly
different parameters (number of inodes, number of inodes per group,
number of blocks reserved for GDT expansion, etc.).  That puts all
of the internal structures in slightly different locations, so
"mke3fs -S" just results in a mess that is worse than before.

Unfortunately, my suggestion about patching in a new super block
succumbs to the same fate.

Unless you can use the same version of e2fsprogs that originally
built the FS, and that FS has not been restructured since creation,
I fear you are reduced to using /photorec/ to try to recover files.

Yes, I can use original ubuntu 12.04 live dvd to do that. That
was the version used to create the partitions ... etc.