Re: Secure Transactions

On Sat, 2014-08-30 at 19:41 -0700, Tod Merley wrote:
> Ok - considering that this Fedora 20 install and FireFox browser will
> only be used for Internet transactions how would you set it up to do
> it's job well?

Most of them are self evident, if you know what the options mean, and
some are clearly self-explanatory.  Others, you have to think about how
they'd do their job.

I have the block pop-up windows setting set.  I know of very few good
sites that pop up new windows, that sort of thing has nearly always been
abused.  And, it notifies you if a pop up has been blocked, so if you're
using a trustworthy site, you can okay that particular pop up, as and
when you want to.

I do tick the mostly pointless "tell sites I don't want to be tracked."
Not that it can enforce it, but if sites start to analyse their data and
notice a lot of people say they don't want to be tracked, something
might just get through their thick heads.

I use the custom history setting.  I do allow it to remember browsing
and download history, search and form history.  Because those things are
useful to me.  I set the third-party cookies to be accepted from sites I
visit (as opposed to accepting them from anywhere, or not at all),
because too many sites fail without that (and some still fail, falsely
claiming I've rejected those cookies, because their programmer was a
fool, and didn't do a real test, but did something else and made a false
presumption).  I set it to keep cookies until I close the browser, this
minimises tracking of me to a single session, but does mean that if I
want to customise how I use a particular site, I have to do it each and
every time I go there, if it uses cookies to store the information on my
computer instead of their own.  Just below that is a clear history when
Firefox closes option that I don't set, but should do the same task as
various wipe-all-your-data add-ons that some people install.

I have the warn me when sites try to install add-ons ticked (and it
seems very stupid for that to be set any other way).

I have the block reported attack sites and web forgeries options set,
not that I place a great deal of faith in them.  And I don't go looking
for hacking and cracking information, where you might well expect to get
cracked as you look up how to crack something (seriously, why do people
think that a cracker is going to look after your interests?).  I'm sure
new bad sites pop up quicker than the black lists.  And I know that sort
of option does leak information about what your browsing to the service
which checks to see if the site is good or bad for you.  For truly
private browsing, you'd have to disable that feature.

I do let the browser save some passwords, because that's convenient for
me.  Nobody else uses my login, so its not like someone can log into my
ISP member page, and change my settings, just by browsing to the page
and having the browser make it easy for them.

I see no reason to use the master password.  After all, I had to log
into the computer, before I could use the web browser.  Making me type
in another password, just for the browser, isn't securing anything any
further.  If someone else can use my computer login, the game is lost.

I think a number of the Firefox settings seem to relate to things like
family use of a computer, where nobody has the sense to give each person
a personal logon, so they can keep settings and data separate for each
person.  Thanks to prior Windows experience, like Win98, where that sort
of thing just didn't work.

I've unticked the health and crash reporters.  I don't know how much
data they'll send out, nor whether they'll sanitise it.  The health and
perfomance reporter is just going to continually leak information, and I
think there's going to be more than enough thousands of people reporting
crashes that I don't need to, as well.

I have the option ticked for it to tell me when website asks to store
data for offline use.

I do let it automatically update things like the search engines.

Basically, it's set for me to confirm things that are other than just
simply reading webpages, before they happen.

I only have two add-ons that I regularly ensure are added on to
browsers, that's no-script and flashblock.  They kill most regular
problems without turning my web browser into a no browser.

My usual example of a painful site to try with and without these things,
is http://www.news.com.au/.  It's not a dangerous wierd site, but
demonstrates a site with annoying reloads, far too much crammed into
each page, far too much scripting, and media that begins playing as soon
as pages load - making multi-tabbed browsing a complete pain, as several
tabs you opened in the background to get around to reading after the
current article all start playing video files.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.15.10-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Thu Aug 14 16:12:39 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.