Re: Fedora - client server networking configuration.

On 08/25/14 15:15, Angelo Moreschini wrote:

I am using Fedora 20 on two computers and I have also one computer that use Windows 8.

I wont realize a local network with these computers, but I am a little confused about the way to arrange my (client server) network configuration .

I understood that DHCP is the core to do the network configuration, but I have some doubts about how I have to arrange it.

Reading the documentation, I got the opinion that nothing need to do in the computers that have the role of Clients on the net; instead on the computer with the role of Server it need to write the file /etc/dhcpd.conf.

That is exact ?

What other important operation need to do to do becouse my local network works correctly?

It exists a good PRACTICAL tutorial to accomplish this task?

Do you want to set up a dhcp server as a learning exercise?  Or do you have a particular need to run one under Fedora?

I ask this since most people have a DSL Router or a Cable Modem Router, etc. on their home networks to access the internet.  All of these have build in DHCP servers which are adequate for most people and are easy to administer with their GUI.  This is especially convenient if you power down systems since most people don't shutdown their routers.  So, a DHCP server will always be available.